Thursday, June 25, 2009

New Uses For Hardware And Such

These necklaces are made using a variety of hardware. The turquoise one is made with metal washers, stacked buttons and painted metal scrapbook embellishments. The rectangular one has beads that are made from sliced pieces of pyrex pipettes from a medical lab. The three tier floral pendant is made from epoxy scrapbook stickers over metal washers. The coral color one is made from a C-clip that is some kind of auto part, semi-precious stones and buttons.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

I created my 1st Treaury

I created my 1st Treasury on Etsy. It took a while to get settled down and wait for the 333 to pass, but it is fun, I think I'll get into this.
Good luck to all the creative designers I included.
Please check out these lovely Evening Bags by June 17th when my Treasury expires.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My Earring Cabinet

Being an earring junkie, it tends to be hard to find a place to store them all, or to locate the pair I want. I decided I needed a cabinet. I envisioned something similar to a CD cabinet that provides storage on the doors when they open.
I went to Lowes and bought some 1x3x2’ boards to build the boxes. Originally I had intended to also put necklaces in the box, hence I chose the 1x3’s, but 1x2’s probably would have worked fine and the box would have been a bit less deep. I decided widthwise to make each door out of a 1x6, and so I also bought some ¼”x6” craft boards to glue together to form the back. I decided to make the doors slightly larger than the box so that I could put a decorative curve on the top, something to match our wooden window valances in the bedroom. The extension on the bottom works as a door handle. I also wanted a shallow band across the bottom of each section to stop anything that fell from dropping out. I just went with some flat ¼” trim molding. I measured the pieces and marked my curved top and my husband cut them for me. He used his router to make a groove to recess the bands across the bottom. I just used a simple butt joint and screwed the boxes together and glued & nailed on the front & back. My original idea was to put in rows of wire and wrapped them around screws to hang my dangle earrings over. I tried getting the wire taught, but all the earrings kept sliding toward the middle. Then my husband had a great idea, remembering the pile of martigras beads we had. So we cut the strands, strung them across and around the screws, wedging a bead between the screw and the side of the box. They work great because the beads separate each pair of earrings. Originally I had left the sides off the middle of the doors (I thought they might bind together when opening and closing) but I ended up adding a strip of the ¼” molding to finish off the edge and cover the ends of the screws & beads.
I own a few pairs of post earrings, so I used some wire and formed a small hole and loop, so I could attach the earring thru the hole and hang them in the box too. It’s kind of a pain, so I end up not always putting them away properly. I’m considering adding a strip of needlepoint mesh in place of the beads, but haven’t tried it yet, or perhaps I’ll find another solution.
I finished it off by painting it white and modifying the stencil from the window valances up the front. The lovely vintage hinges I used on the sides came from our Aunt’s old house. Now I have plenty of room to make and store new earrings.
This idea can be adapted to any size and I have also included a picture of a similar but smaller earring holder I made for my sister using a wooden picture frame and strung beads. I just used some decorative paper across the back. A sheet of needlepoint mesh would also work well if making one from a picture frame.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Coral Rose Handbag

I made this elegant purse without a pattern. I used the coral color fabric sample just the size it was. I sewed up the sides and created a corner on each side to form the bottom. I thought it would look nice with a front pocket, so I looked thru my scraps & found the lovely floral fabric (left over from a round cushion I made). I cut out the pockets and flap and sewed them on. Then I realized I might have just enough scrap left to add a zipper closure across the top. My mother had recently given me a beaded necklace. I restrung one of its strands onto wire for the handle. Look for it in my Etsy shop.

Monday, June 1, 2009

This Months Feature at The ReFORMatory on ArtFire

Because I enjoy working on so many different types of crafts, each month in my ArtFire Studio I feature a different style of craft. This months feature is “Vintage Button Hairpins”. My button collection started with hand-me-downs from both grandmothers and now my mother, mother-in-law and other friends have also added in. I find that small to shirt size buttons work well for hairpins. I enjoy embellishing some of them with beads and other items. Check them out on ArtFire until June 30th.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...